Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Moist Gluten-Free Yeasty Bread



Since I was diagnosed gluten-intolerant 3 years ago, I've gone through multiple battles to replace bread in my life only to find myself stuffing my face with fresh delicious wheat bread products, which led to days of loud rumbling and tummy aches. I decided that I had to find a true replacement that satisfied these cravings or be forever inundated with pain (ouch!).

After many many mistakes with recipes I've found online, I learned a few things and after tweaking a few recipes, I've settled on this one. You will absolutely love it, and I hope you find it just as amazing as I do.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups brown rice flour (I use brown for the nutritional value, but white can be used as well)
  • 1 cup tapioca flour
  • 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons Kosher salt (1 1/2 teaspoons regular or sea salt) 
  • 2 tablespoons pure coconut palm sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (Red star is Gluten Free)
  • 2 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance works well)
  • 3 large eggs lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1-2 tablespoons melted butter (Earth Balance works!) for brushing
Step 1
In a heavy duty mixer (highly recommended) combine the rice flour, tapioca flour, xantham gum and salt. Turn the mixer on low and blend until fully incorporated. (Congratulations! You just made Gluten Free Flour)
Step 2
In a small bowl or large measuring cup, dissolve the coconut sugar and yeast in the water (I used hot tap water). Stir the mixture together and wait. The mixture should begin to foam, alerting you that your yeast is active and you may continue. (Red Star has never failed me, so I tend to skip this step - but some people prefer to do this!)

Pour the yeast mixture into your dry ingredients and blend together.

Step 3:
Add the melted butter, vinegar and eggs and beat on high for 3 minutes. This will result in a smooth yet sticky batter. Do not add anymore flour, sticky and slightly wet is perfect! 

Step 4:
Prepare a bread pan, I used the standard 9x5 pan. You can prepare your pan with your choice of oil or butter (substitutes are fine). If you like, you can also dust your pan with cornmeal.

Pour your batter into your pan and lightly cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area in your kitchen and let it rise for about 25 minutes. I usually place my pan into my oven and check back every 10 minutes - removing the cover when the rising threatens to stick to it. 

After you're dough has risen, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees and brush the top of your loaf with melted butter (or substitute). Bake for 40 minutes and cool to just above room temperature before slicing. 

The aroma of this bread will beg you to cut into it, and taste, but because this is rice flour - you will want to wait a bit to allow the bread to settle. When the bread is completely cool, you can cover it with your favorite storage wrap or bag right on your counter-top.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment