Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thai Inspired Green Curry Chicken Soup


Who says gluten free can't be adventurous and delicious! I was born and raised on Guam whose main diet consists of rice, meats, soups. chili peppers, tropical fruit, green leafy and root vegetables. One could look at this list and say "WOW that's an amazing diet!", and it truly is - if you learn how to eat them proportionally and in moderation. Food was and always will be a large part of my life, and being so close to Asia, it's no mystery why Asian Cuisine played a very large part of my diet growing up.  In this gluten free journey that I've challenged myself to, I've found that I can still enjoy the best part of the foods I love by making simple changes and eventually moving not just past the gluten aspect - but craving less of the empty carbs that weighed me down. 

I absolutely love Thai Green Curry, from the first time I've had in Waikiki, but I avoided it as the combination of coconut milk and white rice could be catastrophic for my diet. Since being gluten free, I've adopted the philosophy that food tastes amazing naturally. There is no reason to add empty carbs and wheat gluten in the form of bread to soak up all that natural goodness - why not just have more of it? Thai Green Curry Chicken Soup - no rice necessary!

Ingredients
1 lb raw chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 c coconut milk 
1 medium onion diced
2 tbsp green curry paste (You can find this in most major grocery stores or Asian stores)
2 cups homemade chicken broth (or store bought, up to you!)
4-5 sprigs Thai Basil (Thai Basil is essential, but I've been known to use regular basil if I can't get my hands on this delicious herb)
4-5 lime leaves 
1 small lime leaf
Your choice of vegetables, I usually lean toward baby bok choy, eggplants, bamboo shoots - but whatever you want, it will work.
Salt & Pepper to taste

Step 1:
Heat a pot at medium high and add the oil. Toss in your onions and stir fry about 1-2 minutes until onions are fragrant. Add in your curry paste (I usually end up adding in about 4-5 tbsp) and cook the paste with the onions until once again fragrant (about 2 minutes).

Step 2:
Add your coconut milk and stir to combine and heat thoroughly, you may want to lower the heat to avoid spattering. Cook until the curry has combined with the milk and you see the spices floating at the top. 

Step 3:
Add in your chicken and allow this to come to a very slow boil, lower your heat to about medium and continue to cook the chicken (about 10 minutes). Slowly add your broth and lime leaves and bring to a boil then add in your vegetables, bring once again to a boil. You may now serve your delicious soup into serving bowls and garnish with basil which you have torn through with your fingers - give them a quick rub between your fingertips to really capture the essence of the herb. Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment